Tuesday 9 April 2013

Working abroad as a Newly Qualified SLT

Over the last few months I have been trying to decide what area of SLT I want to work in when I qualify in September. Most of my experience before getting a place on the course was in paediatrics but I have really enjoyed the adult acquired side of things this year.

One thing I have decided is that I really want to spend some time abroad - most of my friends have travelled or worked abroad since leaving school/university and every single one of them has loved their experience. At the moment I am not tied down so it feels a bit of a now or never situation. However, having dedicated 2 years of my life to becoming an SLT I really don't want to lose my clinical skills or miss out when (limited) job opportunities present themselves in the UK. 

I have looked into some options - volunteering with projects such as Operation Smile and private work with clients in countries such as Dubai. I must admit I am disappointed that you need 2 years clinical experience before you can consider working in the USA, Australia or New Zealand, however, I do understand that their graduate programmes have a different focus to British qualifications, and it is already a daunting prospect having a caseload in this country without added confusion!

So do I..

travel now whilst not tied down and needing a break OR wait until I have two years experience when I may gain more clinically?

Whilst the RCSLT offers some advice regarding working abroad, I don't think there is much information out there about the options. Can you still develop your skills? Is there any use for you if you don't speak other languages? Can you get your NQP competencies signed off if you work privately for one family? Would I be completely out of my depth with a lack of support/supervision?

With the research world and the twitter world being so close in terms of sharing information between different countries, I find it hard to believe it is so difficult to get information and seek out opportunities - I almost feel I'm missing something obvious!!

If anyone has any information about opportunities or has travelled/ worked abroad themselves I would love to hear from you- whether your experiences have been positive or negative...


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,

    I am currently in the exact same position as you - qualifying this year and am looking to work abroad, wherever there is work available! If you find out any information I would really appreciate it if you could pass it on to me? My email is dmnxx@hotmail.co.uk

    Many thanks and the best of luck :)
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle,

      Thanks for the comment. Hopefully we will find out about opportunities abroad soon, if I get any information of course I will pass it on!

      Good luck with the rest of your studies :)

      Lauren

      Delete
    2. Hi Danielle and Lauren,
      I'm actually interested in moving from the US to the UK or New Zealand. I've been practicing for 5 years here in the States. I know about the MRA, but how to find jobs?
      Any advice?

      Delete
  2. I live in California. There's a legit Board of Education site called Edjoin that posts a bunch of school jobs. (Glassdoor is an odd site that collects a bunch of private sector info and job postings and will even email job alerts). Retired SLPs are begged to return to work. There is a shortage of SLPs here, but the competition is high to get qualified. In the UK it appears that a BSc gets you much farther. I agree that it's a challenge to find good information.

    ReplyDelete