Thursday 18 April 2013

How did YOU get interested in SLT/ SLP?

We all know there is a lack of awareness of SLT and in particular a lack of males within the profession. I recently guest-blogged on the lovely Gemma's blog here http://www.speechandlanguagethera-peers.blogspot.co.uk/2013_01_01_archive.html about my current research into male SLT's that I am doing for my dissertation.

Earlier today I posted a simple 'how did you first become aware of SLT/SLP?' tweet. I was overwhelmed by the responses I got. Reasons given have been consistent with the very limited amount of research in the literature.

  • family members already SLT's/ SLP's or in other areas of healthcare that work closely with an SLT
  • A family member/ friend that has received SLT
  • Working in education (mainstream or learning disability) and having contact with an SLT
  • Careers day at school/ college
  • Careers matching service/ website                                           (thank you #slpeeps!)
On a personal level, I admit I didn't know what an SLT was until a few years ago. I wanted a career in sport initially and did a sport science degree. I then got a job in a school to get experience for teaching and found myself carrying out indirect SLT programmes with some children and had some training from the SLT - I was hooked and applied for my masters.

The way I think about it - we need to understand what influenced and motivated us to go through what is quite a tough process to become clinicians in order to influence others.

The one thing all your reasons had in common was that you had exposure to an SLT or at the very least information about SLT before you considered it as a career option. If people don't see it, how are they meant to decide they want to do what we do? I hope we can all continue to raise awareness through twitter, training others, giving voice and just by talking about what we do to other people.

Lauren   

No comments:

Post a Comment