Monday 22 July 2013

21 things I didn't realise I'd signed up for...

“Things aren't ever what they seem to be when you first look at them. What's important is that you keep your mind wide open and try to understand what's going on from a lot of different angles.”
                                                                            
                                                                             - Christopher Paul Curtis


1. The hard work didn't stop after getting a place on the MSc SLT course- in fact it hasn't stopped yet.

2. Being back at university meant I had to attend more than once a week.

3. Just because I think my essay is good doesn't mean I'll get a good mark.

4. Just because I think my essay is bad doesn't mean I'll get a bad mark.

5. Caffeine would be my new best friend.

6. On placement I spend more time in the car than doing therapy.

7. The RCSLT CQ3 would become my preferred choice of bedtime reading.

8. It becomes a huge achievement to get a library book out before the rest of my classmates get there.

9. I secretly compare every friends child to developmental milestones.

10. People ask what course I'm doing. Then ask what I want to do after. 'Be an SLT' then still prompts blank faces.

11. People will always ask what an SLT does, not listen and think I'm going to be a teacher.

12. None of my friends will understand I don't get a summer holiday.

13. The primary purpose for my Makaton training would be to communicate with my SLT friends across a busy bar.

14. In the two years I have convinced myself I have every voice disorder, social communication problem and neurological condition possible.

15. No-one else will find an SLT joke funny. I find it hilarious.

16. It would become exciting to go to a conference on a Saturday instead of shopping.

17. I panic every time I watch someone drink through a straw.

18. I start screaming 'dysphagia dysphagia' every time a crisp goes down the wrong way.

19. Meeting with classmates at lunch to discuss an essay becomes an acceptable form of 'social life'.

20. I'd turn up to an interview and find the rest of my course mates in the waiting area.

21. Twitter would provide a community who can be relied on for work distractions minus guilt.


(Still love it though)

No comments:

Post a Comment